There are two kinds of permits for traveling in Tibet:
01. the entry permit (TTB permit) and
02. the Alien\'s travel permit (PSB permit).
You can get them easily from Tibet Holidays.
01. TTB Permit - Tibet Entry Permit (Tibet visa)
When you fly from any city to Lhasa you will need to show this permit when you check in at the airport. Furthermore, whenever you buy a flight to Lhasa you need to show this permit. TTB permits are also needed by groups traveling by Land Cruiser but this will be arranged by the travel agency organizing the trip. Here is a picture of TTB permit (click on the picture to enlarge):
02. PSB Permit - Alien\'s Travel Permit
If you want to go further to the \"unopened\" areas, you need an Alien\'s travel permit issued by PSB of Tibet. It is called \"Alien\'s Travel Permit\" or \"PSB permit\". Here is a picture of PSB permit :
To process your Tibet travel permit
Because we are a LOCAL travel agency, it\'s quite easy for you to get a travel permit with our help. Simply send us your passport detail or a copy of your passport and please mention your Occupation.
1) full name; Exactly on your passport
3) date of birth;
4) passport number;
- all exactly the same as on your passport. And you need to tell us your occupation because journalists and people that could be involved in political matters could be revoked (they need more complicated procedure to get a permit).
You need to apply for the travel permit at least 10 days prior to your entry date.
Please note that if you do not book any tour from us, we can not help you get the permits. No travel agency can provide \"permit-only\" service. Here is a note from Lonely Planet:
\"Lhasa PSB will not issue travel permits to individuals and will direct you to a travel agency. Agencies can arrange a travel permit to almost anywhere but only if you book a Land Cruiser, driver and a guide.\"
Important Issues about Tibet Travel Permit
1. All kinds of people can get Tibet permit through a travel agency except diplomats, journalists, and government officials who should travel to Tibet under the arrangement by the Foreign Affairs Office of Tibet Government.
2. After having a permit, a travel agency could buy you the air tickets, and you can pass the check-in at the airport and the check point reroute with the permit.
3. Only the guide could hold the permit after you establish yourself on Tibet land. You are not allowed to bring with it and travel to anywhere you want because except Lhasa you need another permit named as \"Aliens’ Permit\". Otherwise if you are stopped by the police you will be sent out of Tibet or have trouble politically and economically. Furthermore, the travel agency which helped to get you the permit will also be in trouble.
Therefore seriously not any legitimate travel agency could sell you the Tibet permit if you do not book a tour with them. We don\'t think you would like to be in trouble due to a \"sold\" Tibet permit after you pay a lot of money for the tour.
4. There is a service charge (by the government) to get the Tibet permit. And it takes time, paper work, transportation fee and delivery fee for us to get a permit for you, so ATT will charge an extra fee for the permits.
Visa If you entering Tibet from China
Regarding visa if you are going to enter Tibet from China then you could obtain China sigle entry tourist visa in your home country and aply for entry permit with our help taking your travel package to Tibet.
Visa if you entering from Nepal
As per Chinese visa regulation, if you are going to enter Tibet from Nepal, then we advice you not to obtain Chinese visa in your home country, which will be canceled and a new group visa will be issued. Group visa will be paper not in passport, you will have stap while you enter Tibet at the border.
Note: There is no guarantee that the rule is same as instructed here because chinese authority they make changes in rule without any prior notice so that we request you to contact us for permit and visa latest news.